Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

October 3, 2013

Day 3: Long Winter

To see more posts in this series just click on the label "31 Days" under the title of each post in this series, or go back to Day 1 where each day is listed at the bottom of the post.


I'm not a huge fan of winter.  The first snow is pretty and exciting.  But after the 10th, 5th, 3rd time, its old for me.

I love to ice skate, but I don't love the coldness so much.  For one thing, we mostly use space heaters in our house, pretty much only in the kitchen, so the rest of the house is freezing!  Then, working in the cold isn't very fun.  Feeding calves takes so much longer, because you have to thaw their buckets of water to put the milk in.  And sometimes scraping the barnyard doesn't happen for days if everything is frozen solid.  And I have yet to find a good pair of work gloves to keep my hands warm, but also wash easily and hold up to the work of a farm (and that fit my small hands).

It feels so strange to be talking (or complaining) about winter and cold while I'm sitting here sweating!

All that to say, I sit with great anticipation, waiting for the first small signs of spring.  Then I run barefoot and crazy through the cold grass at noon.



But until then, do I wait gloomily for the first crocuses or daffodils or the first buds to appear on the dogwood trees?  Or do I give up hope as I wait for the ice to thaw on a certain relationship?

Instead, I enjoy the time that I have before the warm weather brings the busy harvest time and less time with family.  I dig more deeply into the friendships that I do have while I wait for the Lord to soften hearts and bring understanding for a broken relationship.  I enjoy where I am right now, doing what I love, even if it is hard, while I wait for what the next season will bring.

I'm beginning to realize that is what joyful waiting is about, being in the now and seeing and enjoying it for what it is.  So I hope I'm not going to be too repetitive in my future posts.  And hopefully I'll have a few guest posts to change things up.  I haven't run out of things to say, I'm just starting to understand what these words mean to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment