Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

October 27, 2013

Day 27: Receive

Yesterday, I was reminded of a journal entry that I wrote  back in April.  I didn't know it at the time, but it has a lot to do with joyful waiting.  I was reading Emily Freeman's book, Grace For The Good Girl, and three words struck and pierced my heart.  Receive.  From.  Be.  All of these words are connected, but I think for the sake of length I'll talk about them separately then tie them back together in my 30th post in this 31 day series.

Receive.

It is so hard to receive sometimes.  To open up our hands to allow them to be filled with blessing.

Compliments.  What am I supposed to say back?  Just thank you?  I always want to rush in right away and say something nice back, but does that come across sincere?  I don't want to become or look prideful about the things I am complimented on, so sometimes I just brush the compliment away, put the attention back on someone else.

Gifts.  As much as I love to get gifts, it is so awkward to sit there and have everyone stare silently at you as you open up a wrapped box or gift bag.  And then you pull out the gift, and whether or not you love it, you don't want to be fake, so you say "It's so great," but you never feel like you can express how much gratitude you actually have.

Necessities.  Basically, I feel like a beggar when I accept food or clothing from someone.  I appreciate it, but it makes me feel ashamed to be in need of something.

Grace, the Holy Spirit.  I think I know what both of these are, but how do you receive grace.  Or how do you receive the Holy Spirit?

It takes a change of my heart and mind.  I don't need to give more to receive more.  It is a hunger, a desire for knowing who God is.  Sitting down with Him to receive what He wants to give.  I don't receive when I don't take the time to be with Him, when I crowd Him out with all the things I need to accomplish.

I need to go into my room, shut the door, wait... and receive...

"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."  Matthew 6: 6




To see more posts in this series just click on the label "31 Days" under the title of each post in this series, or go back to Day 1 here and choose from the list of days listed at the bottom of the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment