Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

October 28, 2013

Day 28: From

Living for God.  It's a phrase that I hear often.

What does that look like?  Aren't there a lot of things we can live for?  We can live for something that we are waiting for.  But that isn't necessarily God.

When I think of living for someone, I think of someone who can't get around, who is not physically able to do some activities.  You can experience things for them and express those things to that person, but it won't ever be the same as them having the experience themselves.

It means we are an individual, independent of everyone else.  We can choose to turn off that "living for" someone in an instant, and live for ourselves.

Living from God.

It goes deeper.  I picture God's hand, and I am laying in His hand, connected to it.  I am no longer the same weak, flawed individual that I was.  I am an extension of God.  Not that I am God, but His work, His love, the life that He gives, flows from Himself out through me.  The Holy Spirit is that connecting piece.  The Holy Spirit is what grips us.

Young children live from their parents, they don't live for their parents.  Their parents provide for their needs.  That is how we are to live from God.

It means I can have joy in the waiting because I am not depending on myself for that joy.  The Holy Spirit grips me in the palm of His hand.  God already knows my needs, I just need to live connected.

Live from Him and receive the grace that I need.



To see more posts in this series just click on the label "31 Days" under the title of each post in this series, or go back to Day 1 here and choose from the list of days listed at the bottom of the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment