Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

October 18, 2013

Day 18: Waiting To Grow Up

Growing up was something I always wanted to hurry along when I was young.

When I was a pre-teen, I wanted desperately to be a teenager, to be able to drive and be cool like that.  Then when I was in high school, I wanted to be a cool college kid.  Then when I was a freshman in college, I wanted to be a senior.  They looked so much older and looked like they knew what they were doing.  They were so confident and carefree!

Then I got to be a senior in college, and I had no idea what I was doing, I was still a self conscious wreck, and I pretended to be carefree.  I'm starting to see that is what a lot of people do before they figure out who God created them to be, pretend to be who they thing they should be.

And then I got married fresh out of college to my high school sweetheart!  Which was such an awesome decision (but I still have no idea how it all began!).  Sometimes I second-guess my choice to go to college, maybe we should have gotten married straight out of high school?  But the decision I made was for some reason, I haven't clearly figured that out yet though.  And we probably weren't ready for that.

I wanted time to move faster, so I didn't have to wait to grow up.  I thought as I grew up I would know what I wanted to do with my life.  I thought everything was so easy as an adult!

And now, I feel like I'm staring 30 in the face and completely lost as to where the time went (And I'm still closer to 25 than 30 right now)!  Aging happens fast!  But growing up?  I haven't really felt like an adult yet.  The responsibilities are there, but I still feel like one of the young ones.

And then the thought comes, "well, just wait until you have kids.  Then you'll feel like an adult."  Well, probably not.  Maybe someday I will feel like an adult (although, I feel it more and more with every time I let myself be lazy and then start working out again, man am I sore!).

Until then (and even after that), I should probably just enjoy every day, every year, every relationship, for what they are.  Blessings.


To see more posts in this series just click on the label "31 Days" under the title of each post in this series, or go back to Day 1 here and choose from the list of days listed at the bottom of the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment