Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

October 25, 2015

Day 25: What are we afraid of?

Inspiration can come at any time and from anywhere.  Some family members were asking if I was going to post today, and I really had no idea what I was going to post about, but after I got home, I had an idea (which also led me to post what I did for Day 24)!  Thank you family!

Why are we so afraid of letting go?  Of our stuff, of our ideas, of our plans, of our money, of our time, and the list could go on.

Maybe because of that word "our."  We see it as ours.  (And I'm not writing this to anyone in particular because I am as guilty of this as the next person.)

What is really mine?  Nothing that I have or even do is new to the world, it all has a source.  If you read through the Bible book of Ecclesiastes, the writer makes this point chapter after chapter (I found his writing to be almost depressing at times).

The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:
“Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”

All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
       -Ecclesiastes 1: 1-2, 8-10

Kind of depressing, right?!

Chapter 12 is more encouraging.  It tells us to remember our Creator.  All things that we have come from Him.

Doesn't that also mean that He can provide for what we lack?  We don't need to hang on to everything if we trust that He is our Provider.  And that doesn't mean that we should be negligent or careless with what He has entrusted to us, just that we should trust more in Him than in the things that we call "ours."


No comments:

Post a Comment