Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

March 10, 2011

Psalm 62

I was away for the past day and half.  I was with Josiah's mom and sisters at a retreat center.  We had a great time of hiking, relaxing, and spending time with each other and God. 

We talked about worship some of the time, and went through a bunch of Psalms, pulling out different verses that emphasized why we should worship God in different situations in our lives.

It was a time of refreshing after the busyness of the past few months. 

I really appreciate the passion that David and the other writers put into their psalms.  They don't hold back their emotion, they are honest with God.  They are real. 

I like realness.  And I haven't been really real, honest, or open with myself and others in the past.  I think that has been something that God has been working in me for a while, but it's going to take time.  And as I become more real, I become more of the person who God created me to be.

So this morning, I just felt like reading from psalms.  So I will leave you with Psalm 62 to think about.
"I wait quietly before God,
      for my victory comes from him.
 He alone is my rock and my salvation,
      my fortress where I will never be shaken.
So many enemies against one man—
      all of them trying to kill me.
   To them I’m just a broken-down wall
      or a tottering fence.
 They plan to topple me from my high position.
      They delight in telling lies about me.
   They praise me to my face
      but curse me in their hearts.
Let all that I am wait quietly before God,
      for my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
      my fortress where I will not be shaken.
My victory and honor come from God alone.
      He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.
O my people, trust in him at all times.
      Pour out your heart to him,
      for God is our refuge.
Common people are as worthless as a puff of wind,
      and the powerful are not what they appear to be.
   If you weigh them on the scales,
      together they are lighter than a breath of air.
Don’t make your living by extortion
      or put your hope in stealing.
   And if your wealth increases,
      don’t make it the center of your life.
God has spoken plainly,
      and I have heard it many times:
   Power, O God, belongs to you;
   unfailing love, O Lord, is yours.
   Surely you repay all people
      according to what they have done."

No comments:

Post a Comment