Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

December 17, 2013

O Little Town: Advent Dec. 17

"But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah,
    are only a small village among all the people of Judah.
Yet a ruler of Israel will come from you,
    one whose origins are from the distant past."  -Micah 5: 2

I took some time off from writing, mostly because of snow and work busy-ness, and the weekend, and then there was a special someone who celebrated his birthday yesterday.  So life has been full of activity.

And I'm feeling this battle.  Between Christmas and chaos.  Christmas has gotten so big and loud, what lays silent and small in the background is forgotten.  

It is a hard balance for me.  I have things that I really want to give people for Christmas, but most of them I have to make.  So I've been sitting down and working on these projects when I have time.  But sometimes, I feel stressed by this time deadline.  Christmas is coming.

And then there's Advent.  Coming.  The King coming.  The star-filled night, full of peace, brimming with the hopes of all the earth for their Savior.  Quiet anticipation.  Joyful waiting.

"O little town of Bethlehem
How still we see thee lie
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep
The silent stars go by
Yet in thy dark streets shineth
The everlasting Light
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in thee tonight."  ~O Little Town Of Bethlehem

O little town.  Out of this seemingly small and unimportant place comes a small and seemingly unimportant child.

This Child is Jesus.  The Lamb of God.  The Lamb who was silent as He was falsely accused and condemned to die.  Rising to life again after defeating the power of death.  He is coming back.  Advent again.  And He will not be silent.

"As the rain and the snow
    come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
    without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
    so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
12 You will go out in joy
    and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
    will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
    will clap their hands."  -Isaiah 55: 10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment