Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

February 9, 2013

fight for joy?

I love when I'm struck in a new way by something that I've seen or heard or read over and over again.

This time it was the lyrics of a song that I've heard so many times!

"Fight for joy!"

What?!  Fight for joy?  Why would I need to fight for joy?  I'm a Christian, shouldn't joy just come automatically?

Not on those days when nothing seems right.  Not when things aren't turning how I had dreamed.

Not when the cows are being stubborn and kicking at me.  Not when I'm tired and just want to stay in bed instead of getting up to work.

John 10: 10  "The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life."

Oh sure, that fake happy comes easily enough, but that's not joy.

I never thought I would have to fight for my joy.  I don't want anyone to be able to steal that from me, but it is so hard to grasp joy in my hands.  When I try it just slips away as soon as I close my hands.  Then I feel like I'm falling to pieces, into despair.

"The Lord is my strength and shield.
I trust him with all my heart.
He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy.
I burst out in songs of thanksgiving."
~Psalm 28: 7

I can't give myself joy.  God gives it to me, He gives my heart peace when I trust His promises.

"To all who mourn in Israel,
he will give a crown of beauty for ashes,
a joyous blessing instead of mourning,
festive praise instead of despair.
In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks
that the Lord has planted for his own glory."
~Isaiah 61: 3


The Lord is my Shepherd, I trust Him for joy and peace!

1 comment: