Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

March 19, 2012

Value

The first day of Spring is just a day away, but it has certainly felt like Spring for the past month!  Spring reminds me that Easter is coming soon, and Easter is my favorite holiday!

Easter is a reminder that the events and relationships that go on throughout the year aren't about me.  It isn't about being this special person that everyone holds in high esteem.  I should not be the focus.  If I focus on myself and desire everyone else to focus on me, then I'm selfish and I don't really want to be selfish (although it seems to come naturally most days).  And if my focus is on me, then won't I be making myself god?  That's a scary picture!  I'm only human, and I mess things up.  

My focus needs to be on God and all he has done for us!  We all have value to God because he created us.  He wants a relationship with us, but we often don't want a relationship with him because we think it will stifle all of our "fun."  

It seems backwards, but really having a relationship with God brings freedom not bondage.  It gives a sense of, "I don't need to hold on to everything so tightly, because all of this is way over my head anyway."  Life is overwhelming when we try to control everything ourselves.  Jesus came to the earth to live, die, and come back to life to show us that life is really about our relationship with God.

Do we realize the value of our souls?

24 "Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me.  25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it.  But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.  26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?  Is anything worth more than your soul?  27 For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds'."
Matthew 16: 24-27 


No comments:

Post a Comment