Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

October 6, 2011

Let your light shine

As I was trying to finish up planning worship for Sunday for the church we go to, I decided to get out my flute and see how it sounded for one of the songs. 

My flute is over 14 years old.  It has sat unused for over half of those years, but when I get it out every so often, I find that it can still play all the notes that it used to (except middle C, because there is one little piece that is broken).  It doesn't sound as nice as it once did, and it certainly doesn't look like it used to.  When I get it out of the case after a few months, it looks a little tarnished, but after some handling and shining up, it looks decent.

I wouldn't say that playing the flute is one of my gifts.  It's something that I can do, but I don't excel at it.  With practice I could get better, but only just a little bit, like I said it isn't one of my gifts.

This morning I decided to use another (dare I say it?) gift of mine (I could be the worst photographer in the world according to someone else, but I still love to document the things that I see as beautiful).








So this post really has nothing to do with farming.  But it does have to do with using the gifts that we have.  I could be the best farmer in the world, but if I didn't go out to the barn every day, I never would be (I'm not, though).  And if I sat around comparing myself to everyone else, seeing how much better they do everything, I would never be good enough.  God gives us gifts to use so that we can give him all the glory for everything that we can do. 

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."  Matthew 5: 14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment