Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

May 1, 2011

Tired and still going

These have been some very busy days.  And they aren't over yet.  Josiah hasn't slept in over 40 hours.  I got only 4 hours of sleep last night, not because I was working but because I was keeping Josiah company in the chopper.

The rye harvest looks like this:

First you mow down the rye.


Then the rye is spread out with piece of equipment called a tedder (I'm not sure why it's called a tedder, maybe the person who invented it was named Ted?).  This is done to let the rye dry out some of the moisture.





Then we rake the rye into rows.


Then the chopper comes along and chops up the rows into wagons to be transported to the silo where the ryelage is blown up into the silo.




And that is how we harvest rye.  And it is especially helpful when it doesn't rain, so we are all very thankful that God held the rain off long enough that, at this point, most of the rye is in the silo. 

And now it is time for one very sleepy husband of mine to go to bed (And me too, I think I slept 4 more hours than he did in the last 40 hours).

Tomorrow will be another busy day of racing the weather.

So good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment