Pages

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
~Psalm 127:1

November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving

Holidays can be difficult on a farm.  The cows need fed and milked every day, so someone has to do the work.  I know that I don't really feel like doing the work on these days.  On a day that is supposed to be special, a day for families and reflection on what God has done in our lives, a day that most people have off work.  But it's not about what I want or don't want; we don't always get what we want, it just doesn't work that way.  Instead of focusing on what I think is negative, having to work on a holiday, I need to focus on what I am thankful for, because I have so much to be grateful for.

I am thankful for the cows, without them here I wouldn't be working and living on a farm.  I wouldn't be able to get to know their individual personalities or see the goofy things that they do sometimes.  I would miss out on how delicious their milk is to drink!



I'm thankful for the calves, I love to take pictures of them and pet them.  They are so peaceful one minute and the next they're jumping all over the place, it's just so cute!


I'm thankful for everyone who works here on the farm; for Grandpa, Dave, Dad, Ed, Josiah, Collin, Logan, Kristen, and the occasional Charise and Kendall (when they're home from college).  Every one has a valuable part in this team, and if just a few of these people were missing, the responsibilities would be almost impossible to accomplish.

I'm thankful for 2 wonderful families.  My parents, who raised me and put up with all of my stubbornness and selfishness, I think I'm turning out alright so you must have done a good job.  And Josiah's parents, who have accepted me as one of their own children, and for raising Josiah up to be such a great young man!  And for all of my siblings.  I may be the youngest in my family, but in Josiah's family I am now an oldest child, which is such a difficult transition to make, so thanks for putting up with me Charise and Kristen.  And my siblings, Melissa, Joe, and Michelle, thanks for being older than me, it was so much easier to learn how to drive and do other things because all of you went before me and I could learn from what you did or didn't do.





I'm thankful for Josiah.  He is such a wonderful encouragement to me.  He is positive when I think negative thoughts.  He is strong where I am not, and I am strong in areas where he is not.  We compliment each other very well, and I am thankful that God gave him so much patience with me while we were dating and even now.



All these things I should be thankful for each day.  But sometimes, do I take them for granted?  Probably, another lesson that I need to learn.


"Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.  And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts.  For as members of one body you are called to live in peace.  And always be thankful.
Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives.  Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives.  Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.  And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father."  Colossians 3: 14-17

No comments:

Post a Comment